Bargaining committee recommends acceptance of new offer.
Winnipeg (03 Jan. 2013) - Members of the Manitoba Government and General Employees' Union (MGEU/NUPGE) employed by Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) will be voting on the new contract offer received in December 2012.
Votes are scheduled to take place for roughly 1,700 MPI members from January 8 and 30.
Management proposed five new additions to its previous offer:
- an increase of $50 for the health and well-being spending account, from $250 annually to $300;
- expanded bereavement leave to include immediate “step” family members, eligible for five days of leave;
- the market supplement for I.T. employees will be maintained for the life of the contract, rather than only two years;
- the market supplement for the medical fitness administrators (nurses) will be maintained for the life of the contract, rather than being decreased by 1.5 per cent; and
- if overtime scheduled for a day of rest is cancelled with less than 24 hours notice, two hours of overtime, at a rate of 1.5 times, will be paid. The original offer provided one hour of overtime.
The committee is recommending acceptance of the new four-year contract offer (effective 2012 – 2016).
The National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE) is one of Canada's largest labour organizations with over 340,000 members. Our mission is to improve the lives of working families and to build a stronger Canada by ensuring our common wealth is used for the common good. NUPGE